Ashburton Town Council has put the Refugees Welcome issue on their agenda AND will consider their position at their next meeting. This may mean that they declare their support, PERHAPS declare us a refugee-welcome town and/or help us lobby local and national government.
In making the decision to join our cause it would help the council to have a clear mandate from the town’s people. I’m not sure what an appropriate number would be, but in any case it mean we need signatures, which have to be collected manually or electronically. Please come forward if you have any ideas about how this could be done. Please also make yourself known if you are prepared to help, or happy to be asked to do anything. Message us via our contact page.
At the moment we’re looking for people to:
- Gather signatures in the town center, perhaps on Saturday morning.
- Create and/or manage a website (this will allow us to include non FB supporters) – I’m not sure whether or not it’s possible to have some kind of register people can add their name to electronically.
- Create and/or manage a Twitter account.
- Design a flyer for next week’s meeting and/or help distribute it around town. I already have some volunteers to do the distribution, although the more the merrier!
- If you are a business owner, display a signatures list for your customers to sign.